Friday 18 November 2011

Farewell, Steve Jobs, you saw the future

Apple [AAPL] chairman, ex-CEO and company co-founder, Steve Jobs has passed away after a long fight against cancer.
 Apple's website reveals:
"Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple."
If you would like to share your thoughts, memories and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com

"Join the dots"
Since I first saw the above video it has always resonated with me. I remember the day it appeared, everyone including my non tech-friends spoke about it. That's how much there was here for that man, who left behind a planet that was very different from the one he met when he first came in.
The impact of his ideas, or his ability at times to pull disparate ideas together to recognize something new, these ideas have altered the way we live.
That's not something you can say about anybody, much, really, and that's a legacy every technology user, everyone who has benefited from that technology, everyone who ever had the guts to stand up for and follow an idea, the "crazy ones". I think we all feel a sense of loss today, at the passing of this man.
I don't think it is appropriate today to churn out too much in the way of philosophy or clever sentence construction. The world's lost someone hugely inspiring and important. I think most of us will agree. So, today I just wanted to say, "Thank you, Steve Jobs. I'm so very sorry you left us so soon."
If you have messages, leave them here, or send them to Apple at rememberingsteve@apple.com
What are your thoughts? Speak up, I'm interested.
Got a story? Drop me a line via Twitter or in comments below and let me know. I'd like it if you chose to follow me on Twitter so I can let you know when these items are published here first on Computerworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment